Who is SamMustSwim?
SamMustSwim (SMS) is composed of five guys brought together by love of music. They also believe that talent given by God should be shared. This album contains 10 original compositions written over a 20-year period. SMS music is a confluence of blues, pop, rock, new wave, mixed with life stories. Time is their most precious commodity as majority of the band members work full time in IT and New Media firms. Thus, an SMS live gig is a rare musical experience. Soak in their music.
Get to know the Members:
- Erwin Oliva grew up in Baguio and has strong blues and hard rock influences. He picked up the guitar when he was in high school but it was in College when he got a chance to jam with bands in Baguio. He also had short stints with Manila-based bands. He is now the country editor of Yahoo!.
- Mark Goze is a budding professional photographer. Having started performing at the tender age of 15, Mark has quite an eclectic mix of musical influences, and been a vocalist, drummer, bassist and guitarist with several bands at different points in his career.
- Ryan Manalastas was the drummer of Head On Collision, which played regularly in the legendary Club Dredd in the late eighties up to the early nineties. They launched an album named River of Penitence in 1999. Ryan learned to play the drums while studying in Don Bosco.
- John Rosado III started playing in a band in high school in Don Bosco. He continued to play music in College in UP Diliman. He was mentioned in the first Eraserheads album as the E-heads practiced regularly in a music studio he set up along with friends at the UP Alumni Center in the late 80s.
- Sam Jacoba rediscovered his passion for song writing in 2008. Sam and John were bandmates at the University of the Philippine in Diliman called NEXVS, which regularly played in Campus gigs, and won one of the first Battle of the Bands in the University. Sam also had music stints with SAMASKOM buddies Wency Cornejo (After Image) and Eric Go (EGO) in a band called “Sisig” during his stay in UP. He also jammed with Erwin during his Cyberpress days, and with Ryan when he was still with Microsoft.
Of the five band members, I have known Sam and Erwin since the year 2000 when I started my PR stint as a junior PR Counselor for Microsoft Philippines. I was barely 20 years old at that time and for me to have been thrown right smack in the middle of testosterone-ruled Cyberpress fiefdom became some sort of an awakening for me. It was right then, I believe, when the seeds of my being ‘one of the boys‘ have been firmly planted.
It has been a decade since the bond of friendship was formed and though we hardly see each other, I’m happy we didn’t turn into strangers. And after many years of hardly any contact except on FB or the sporadic sms, we’ll have a chance to hang out again – at their album launch no less!
This I must say, I am one very lucky lady to have been surrounded by talented, creative people who rock the world with pulsating vibrations.
Let’s rock and roll, baby!